Thursday, November 10, 2011

Lab 6




Iconic Half-Dome Rock in Yosemite

    I made my map of Yosemite National Park, which is located in California’s western Sierra Nevadas.  Yosemite is home to some of the most beautiful scenery in the country.  I chose to make my map of Yosemite because I am interested in its geology.  Virtually all of the rocks in Yosemite are granitic rocks which were formed by magma which cooled beneath the earth’s surface.  The spectacular forms of the rocks were formed due to glaciers sliding over the rock and sculpting amazing features.  Yosemite is a great place to study if you are interested in geology.  It is also great for rock climbing, sight seeing, and just enjoying the great outdoors.  The extent of my map is N: 37.93918, W: -119.75873, S: 37.56238, E: -119.36309.  The spatial reference was GCS North American 1983. 

No comments:

Post a Comment